Use Our Checklist to Get Set for Winter
Winnipeg Honda general manager, Dave Zulak, is a Winnipegger just like you and he knows how harsh it can get from December right through most of March in our town.
That’s why he’s found this handy-dandy checklist that will help your vehicle’s system get prepared for the icy weather.
We all know winter can be uncomfortable for people, but it’s also really uncomfortable for cars — even Hondas that are built for a Manitoba winter. Icy cold weather can cause anything from sluggish start-ups to engine damage. It isn’t a fun time for your car.
So in order to prepare you for our wonderful Winnipeg winter, here’s Dave’s winter car maintenance checklist:
• Cooling System – Remember to check your fluid levels and concentrations. Diluted antifreeze is no better than water in a radiator when exposed to the elements. A cold snap can freeze that fluid and destroy everything connected to it. Also remember to check fans and belts for excess wear and damage, replacing any that look like they might need it.
• Oil – Make sure your oil and filter changes are up-to-date and your fluid levels are topped off. Check you car’s vehicle maintenance schedule to see when this should be done. Be sure to change over to winter-grade oil, which has a lower viscosity and will make starting your vehicle in cold weather a whole lot easier.
• Wipers – Replace windshield wipers that aren’t performing to spec. Streaky, ineffective blades can leave you blind on the road and that can be dangerous for you and everyone else.
• Battery – Cold weather affects your vehicle’s electrical system by reducing the amps available for hard starts. If you aren’t sure when you purchased your last battery, or your car seems sluggish when it starts, take your vehicle in and have the battery tested and replaced if necessary.
• Tires – Tires with missing or worn tread are dangerous in ice and snow. Tires without sufficient traction are prone to slide on smooth, icy surfaces. Replace worn tires and consider all-season radials or studded snow tires for better traction. Remember, MPI has a great financing plan for winter tires. We can handle all the paperwork right here at Winnipeg Honda. And don’t forget to check the air pressure to insure that the tires are running to spec and can perform as they were designed to do.
• Emergency Supplies – In addition to vehicle preparation, drivers should be prepared for emergencies. Winter vehicles should be stocked with warm gloves, boots, dry socks, a warm coat, a small shovel, tire chains, a flashlight, emergency food and water, and an emergency battery pack to charge your cell phone.
So before you have to start chasing the kids all over Manitoba for hockey and basketball tournaments and the occasional ski trip, make sure you drop by Winnipeg Honda. Come and see our experienced Genuine Honda trained technicians and show your vehicle a little winter love.
Dave Zulak and his friendly staff will make sure your vehicle has everything it needs to drive safely this winter. Visit us online to schedule your winter inspection or for more winter car maintenance tips. You know where we are – 1717 Waverley Street. In the meantime stay warm.
The Dilawri Automotive Group
Founded in 1984 by Ashok Dilawri, the Dilawri Automotive Group has more than 400 employees and includes seven Winnipeg-based car dealerships. It also provides customers with the Waverly Auto Mall (WAM) Collision Center, a 24-bay glass, paint and auto body center; D-MAX, a 14-bay detailing center; and GAS Performance, a specialty aftermarket and performance accessory showroom with the largest inventory of custom wheels and tires in Winnipeg. The Dilawri Automotive Group has been named one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies.